Friday, January 02, 2009


New Toy for Xmas

Over the past couple days I've been trying out the new toy Miriam got me for Xmas; the Go Pro Helmet Hero Wide Wearable Video Camera. Since I am a technological moron it may take me weeks or months to learn to edit video. In the meantime I've been experimenting with the "One photo every two seconds" mode. It takes some crazy shots with its 170° wide angle lens, I like the idea that it takes the shots at random. If I let it run with fully charged batteries and an empty 2GB SD card it would take about 1700 photos over the course of the 50 minute ride. The editing process might be a frickin' nightmare.


This morning was the first real cold one of the year, about 12° (feels like Argh, Guh, Crap!). After a good week of being back on the bike I'm acclimated at least. It was a tough transition, getting sick just before The Ice Weasels put me off the bike for what would end up being two weeks. That after some pretty spotty time in the saddle over the past month or so. Usually when you're riding every day it doesn't sneak up on you like this, I was off the bike then the bad weather hit all at once. It was a bitch jumping back into the "fire". I've heard of "boiling a frog", does "freezing a frog" work the same way?


The Ferrous has reinvigorated my interest in commuting, I'm loving the fact that I can go anywhere and do anything. The base miles will come easier this way. Out of desire, not out of shear necessity...or whatever it is that drives me to ride through the winter.

Riding the rail trail behind Alewife for a mile in nine inches of snow is the biggest workout I've had in at least two months. Riding through deep snow has got to be one of the best things for your form and bike handling. You gotta stay loose, let the bike go where it wants, keep your pedal stroke smooth and apply power evenly or you'll lose it. Sometimes you do lose it, but it's snow so it's alright.

It's going to be a long winter. Wicked.

No comments: