Friday, January 30, 2009


Freakin' Friday

The weather was so bad (Jesus! We're already talking about the weather in the first sentence of the post, this date is over!) Wednesday that The Shop didn't even open. I procrastinated my morning away, which is normal. School was canceled so Miriam was home trying to get an insane amount of work done, I had to get out of her hair so I headed down to the basement to prep my bike for a "Crazy Snow Ride!" which would look excellent on video.

Every tool has a job and my job is to search for twenty minutes trying to find each of those tools so they can do that job. Often by the time I find the tool for the job, I have forgotten what that job was

After an hour or so of getting off task and generally dicking around in the basement my bike still wasn't ready and I could hear, much to my chagrin, that the snow had begun to turn to freezing rain. I don't start rides in the freezing rain, unless I have to get to work. It was back up the stairs to script Plan B.

I placed the camera on a beam to get the "Aerial Shot" of The Little Workshop of Horrors, it got dusty

M was in the living room working so I didn't want to be in there blaring the TV while I thundered along on my trainer so I set up in front of the computer. I attempted to arrange a ghetto, trainer/office Whittingham type deal. It did not work. Not even close. Miriam could sense my mounting frustration and offered to clear out of the living room for a while.


I hate trainer, I hate stool, I hate TV, I hate carpet. "Thom are you just looking at things in the photo and saying you hate them?". I hate butt.

Yes, I have a mirror set up to the left there. This is because I am so frickin' narcissistic that I am not content writing about myself, sometimes five days a week (I'm trying anyway) I need to stare at myself while I ride the trainer. Truthfully I have it there because my left leg is still a bit "wonky" as Bobke would say. I need to watch it to make sure it's actuating properly.

Hey, if you don't think I'm a big enough dork already, let me share this - I am watching UFC fighting while I ride, doing intervals based on the length of the rounds, while I stare at myself in the mirror going "Lookin' good big guy...look-in' good!". Uh, I mean "watching my wonky leg".

Here I practice my victory salute. Miriam said "You look like a crazy man". I was deeply offended and hurt. So off base...so off base. I'm probably not going to marry her now.


This is totally off subject (what subject were we on) but the other night, Dan Meyer who was awesome enough to be giving me a ride home from work, locked his keys in his car. He had "A trick" where he basically jammed his whole arm in-between the the window and the frame of the car. It went well until there was this loud POP! and the window shattered into a million pieces. It was in the teens that night, not a night to be driving around with the wind in your face so we constructed this beauty out of shop supplies. A cardboard parts bin and some packing tape. Hey, we're bike mechanics. We even cut a little porthole in it, classy! If you see Dan on the street, give him a hug, he's had a rough week.

5 comments:

ಠ⁠_⁠ಠ said...

Your leg isn't all that's wonky.

Hill Junkie said...

Ummm, you have a very white twig.

jb said...

UFC intervals is the best idea!

Bullitt said...

HAHA I am going out for my second 3 plus road ride this week. It's gunna ba cold one, I think that it is lake 40 degrees!! brrrr.

(early training now starts in NC!!, we call it just riding year round and never thinking about the weather)

jeff said...

dude, one trainer table coming yer way!

i finally caught-up w/my blog reading, you've been rockin' the winter rides! sweet man.