Wednesday, September 02, 2009


No Regrets


Why did I just shell out a ridiculous amount of money to fly to Durango, Colorado for a five day trip during which I will get my ass kicked so soundly by old men and acclimated children? Because ever since I missed SSWC06 Stockholm, I have sworn an oath to attend every Single Speed Worlds I possibly can. To say that I am taking a relaxed attitude toward this event would be a massive understatement. You may have noticed how I have been talking over it, looking only ahead at the Vermont 50.

Last year the race was stacked, this year it's just a huge, horrible joke. The locals alone so formidable that worrying about placing well is delusional. Never mind all the real Pros who may show up. There isn't some silly little bike race in polluted Beijing to keep Adam Craig away. "Hey Thom P., where are you going to get the tattoo?". "I don't know, why don't you ask that Leprechaun Jockey on that Racing Unicorn over there?".

This means it's all about hitting some sweet trails (the organizers have a whole itinerary of great stuff for us to do), drinking beer (Dale's Pale Ale), and having fun (which really only consists of the two things I just mentioned). This is not a race you take seriously but it's a race you seriously don't want to miss.

Further thoughts on this later, I know there are more in there knocking around. I can hear them like a broken off nipple rattling around a rim. Maybe I should do what I would do for a paying customer...inject some tubular cement into the rim cavity and shake the wheel until the nipple bits become lodged in the blob of glue. Kidding. I would never inject tubular cement into my ear, it would never reach my brain. I'm crazy not stupid. Well, not that stupid. I'm just going to back out of the room while mumbling unintelligibly now.

-t

2 comments:

EndlessBikeCo. said...

Yeah Thom! We'll pick ya up if ya need a ride.

dougyfresh said...

May you enjoy ever minute of it!

I have to bail and head to the poconos for a very close friend's wedding. I am bothered that I will miss it. I've been looking forward to it since it was announced at last year's SSWC. Alas, you only get married once so I must attend Shannon's wedding. She'll kill me if I don't.

Enjoy my friend. Kill those dreams of others!