Monday, September 20, 2010

Sick and Tired


Photo Cred: Brad O Allen

But not necessarily in that order. Yes I came home sick from The Pisgah Mountain Bike Stage Race, but I don't think I'd be feelin' all that well even if I were healthy. Riding 175 miles with 40,000 feet of elevation gain in five days will do that to a man...or me. It's not like I've been treating my body all that well this season, if one bout of sickness is the price I have to pay, I'll take it. I know things have been a little quiet here lately but that's only because it's gotten very noisy over on the PMBSR Cyclingdirt page. And speaking of noisy, there's nothing like flying with a chest and head cold next to a screeching-like-it's-being-put-through-a-woodchipper-baby to make you want to pull the emergency exit latch and fling yourself into stratosphere. Of course it could have been worse, I could have been wedged in next to this guy:


Seats on planes should be sold like real estate. If you pay for a house with a one car garage and you have two cars, you don't get to put your second car in your neighbor's garage. This guy's "second car" was a first model year Hummer comprised of a flaccid, sweaty, ass; taking up a good third of his neighbor's seat. At the very least big boy should have paid the dude to his right some rent in the form of a cocktail.

I have no idea why I got sick. I mean, my days down in Brevard went like this:

  • Wake up at 6:30 Am or earlier
  • Drink more coffee than the other five people in the house COMBINED
  • Take establishing shots at the venue while getting ready to race
  • Race hard for 4-5 hours
  • Hang out at the venue doing interviews for an hour-and-a-half
  • Do not pass shower, head straight to the cafe to edit vids for 2-3 hours
  • Drive over to the awards ceremony/movie night and try to edit vids while being semi-social
  • Go back to the then closed cafe to pirate their Wi Fi and eat dinner in the car, in a dark parking lot while posting my videos to Cyclingdirt
  • Get home at 10:30-11, drink a couple High Life's to unwind
  • Sleep badly for 4-6 hours
  • Do it again only with progressively less vigor and progressively more pain

It'll pick up here as the week goes on, although I still have lots of "sweet footy" to edit and post on Cyclingdirt.

And, if you're in the neighborhood and you care about access to The Fells, please attend this meeting:

Trails Action Alert!

On Monday, September 20th, 2010 DCR will be presenting their Draft Trails Plan for the Middlesex Fells at a public meeting at the McGlynn School in Med- ford, MA.

We need a strong presence from the MTB community at this meeting! Anti-MTB groups have continued to hammer DCR against any equitable changes to MTB access in the Fells and we need to make sure our presence, voices and rights to singletrack in the Fells are *strongly* represented.

Where: McGlynn School in Medford (adjacent to Hormel Stadium)

When: Monday, September 20th, 6:30-8:00pm Action: Get yourself there! Tell your friends.

More info at http://www.gbnemba.org

1 comment:

dougyfresh said...

great job down there.

enjoy the wedding this weekend. we'll be rocking the 50. Been feeling good lately so I hope things work out well on Sunday.

rest up!