Monday, February 23, 2009


The Practice

No fun my babe no fun
No fun my babe no fun


-The Stooges

My time at Work Out World, A.K.A "W.O.W."in Medford, A.K.A. "Med-Fid" Mass is almost at an end. Thank god.

The idea that as I age I must become smarter and more organized in my "Training" lead me to spend a portion of this winter lifting heavy (to me) things in a fetid basement room full of grunting behemoths clad in Affliction Wear. If I really had my shit together I would have started all this silliness much earlier. Maybe next year for that. That is if the coming year makes me that much wiser or at least not quite so damn clueless.

Whatever I might be whining about today,
I am doing a whole hell of a lot better than this little dude

As it was I got barely two months of practicing doing things in. It is now time to start doing the things again. That's what going to the gym is "Practicing doing things". "I'm getting in shape", "I'm working out". For what? What are all those muscles for anyway? What are you going to use all that Cardio for guy? Go DO something. Lift something, anything that actually needs lifting. Volunteer as a human escalator at The Mystic Mall. Run SOMEWHERE. How about running away from the gym? If only to put as much distance between you and that insipid, brain cell popping music they play.

Jesus, that opposites song, "You're hot and you're cold, you're up and you're down, you're in and you're out, you're in the Klan and The Nation of Islam...". OK, made the last line of that verse up, that would just be too damn interesting. I heard a four year old freestyle better lyrics the other day. I'm not kidding, really I'm not. I would rather listen to the sound of a splintery chopstick being forced into my ear canal by the palsy-ridden hand of Ozzy Osbourne.

Sylvester Stallone quite possibly said one of the dumbest things I've ever heard (NO, I don't believe it!) regarding sport. Something about how you can go around playing Tennis or Soccer or whatever but the thing that makes you feel really good is LIFTING. That's the stuff. Most serious Tennis and Soccer players lift...then they actually go DO something with their useful, not all veiny, weird, and knobbly muscles. I guess Sly does something too. He lifts heavy things so he can look and act like someone who actually does things when some crack-smoking Hollywood producer hallucinates another loathsome vehicle for him to star in.

This is my way of saying, in way too many words, that I've had enough with the practice, it's time to get on with doing what I do to get better at doing what I do.

Speaking of loathsome vehicles...
The rental agency said we scratched the car
. Kind of nit-picky don't you think?

4 comments:

rick is! said...

nice police academy reenactment. now lets see the after shot.

CB2 said...

Dam you to Hell for putting that song in my head!

James said...

Thinking of you getting better at riding your bike makes me sick.

Todd said...

Dammit! The only thing loathsome about that picture is that someone torched a Renault Twingo and let it rot in the woods. That's one of my favorite cars of all time! (Yes, I'm being serious here.)