Thursday, October 16, 2008

A New Kind of Big Bike - NEMBA Vietnam

I wanted something that was an entirely different animal than my rigid, 29", Single Speed. That's what I got. It's an '08 Trek Remedy 8 with 6" of travel front and rear. Super slack up front, super squishy all over, and fun as all hell.

Haven't made it down to Vietnam in years. It is one of the few places where I never had much fun on my whoosy-ass XC single speed set up. I like relentless technical but the moves out here are so relentlessly big that it becomes more about survival than fun. Not anymore.

You know you're in good hands when you encounter signs like this.

I took the little line to the left. This bike has opened up new doors of possibility but I'll have to grow a pair before I attempt the right line. Having someone else around to call the ambulance when I mash my face in wouldn't hurt either.

Didn't even know what to do with this nightmare. Adapting to an entirely new riding style was tough. I crashed more going uphill at first than anything. Spinning little gears and climbing seated is so foreign to me at this point. My first reaction was "My god, what have I done?". A little while later I said to myself (possibly aloud, but no one was listening) "This is my bike!". And I was glad.


Did the left line a couple times on this one. The bike told me I could do it. For some reason in the photo the right line looks less scary. It was definitely daunting as a step up. I came at it at a few times and decided to bag it. Can't wait to go back next thursday and have another go. Hey, if anyone's reading this and they happen to know Vietnam and have the day off thursday let me know. I spent half my ride lost before I honed in on the good stuff and started rocking.

Another View. This stuff is so well conceived and built.

With six inches of travel you can take photos while riding one-handed over relatively bumpy terrain. Don't try that on a rigid.

The Fall.

One thing I don't miss about geared bikes. Mis-firing gears causing your knees to slam into your bars and stem. Given I was so amped up to ride that I took the bike out of the box and basically went riding. At the beginiing of the ride I rode through a series of deep puddles. Mid-way through the ride my chain was squeakin' dry. I lost the chain a couple times powering up some rock ledges. It came off like it broke. Owoweeow. I scrambled back to the car for some lube and I was good to go.

I'll have the chain tensioner/bash guard on for the next ride. I'll be able to pedal into nasty uphill technical stuff like I'm on the single speed. I also slammed my big ring half a dozen times during the ride. No use for that thing, going one by nine.

More NEK photos tomorrow.

5 comments:

Andy, R&D said...

nice thom! when are we riding next??
Mini K is in our near future.
Knee/shin pads arent a bad idea, especially with colder weather coming on.
Gotta love new toys.

GTL said...

I hope you don't ride that thing in spandex, get yer self some baggies and a t-shirt.

Bullitt said...

Vey vey coo'. I had a NAM flashback. weird. ..werd.
-peace out yo.

Big Bikes said...

I'm afraid I will be riding it in full spandex sir.

I have gone baggy before and I will probably never go back to being baggy.

Q: Why do you have to drop your saddle?

A: Cuz I catch the crotch of my baggy shorts on it if I don't.

Q: Why do you carry such a big honkin' "Camel-Bag". You don't really need 100 ounces of water for your two hour ride of which you are only actually maybe riding an hour and a half of in-between stopping and talking shop.

A: Cuz my T-Shirt doesn't have pockets for the three things I really have to bring on the ride.

Baggy has nothing to do with function and everything to do with fashion. Baggies are for flatcappers and guys who aren't punk rock enough to walk into a convenience store in rural New Hampshire looking like a logo-covered Mikhail Baryshnikov.

-t

dougyfresh said...

Look at that toy!

I think we're heading up to Highland MtB Park this coming Saturday. You should come on by.