Wednesday, October 08, 2008


I am the Nightrider!
I am a fuel-injected suicide machine!
I am a rocker! I am a roller!
I am an out-of-controller!
I am the Chosen One!
The mighty hand of Vengeance!
Sent down to strike the unroadworthy!
I'm hotter than a rolling dice!
Step right up, chum,
and watch the kid lay down a rubber road
right to freedom!

Or something like that. This would be the longest title ever anyway.

Had a good turn out for the first super-short notice IBC night ride of the year. A half dozen of us went out for and hour and a half loop of Cutler Park. The weather was excellent and the swoopy trails on the island were a hoot as usual. We'll be doing the same thing next week. International Bike 71 Needham St. Newton, MA. 6:30PM, bring lights or plan on picking some up when you get there. We got plenty.

This was the first test of the light I've been commuting with for the past couple weeks: The Nite Rider Minewt USB Mini Plus (Plus is for helmet mount). It retails for way less than it's overpowered brethren (about $120) but I've found it more than adequate for blinding drivers threatening to pull out in front of you at night. For trail riding it is definitely adequate but as you pick up speed it's limited range becomes apparent. Plenty bright enough for slow speed technical but get going good on a twisty fire road or more open trail and you may miss a turn or two.

It comes with an wall charger and a USB charger to hook up to your computer. Keep one at home, one at work. If you forget to charge at one place or the other, you're covered. Nice.

Bridge to the island. Yes, I almost rode off the side while trying to snap this photo.

Alex comes out laughing after a downhill bail.


Jon Lewis was rocking the 'Cross bike and more than holding his own. You hear that 'Crossers? No mountain bike required for this ride so come on out!

Colin had what we might call a "Proper Lighting System". The Moon actually went down when Colin showed up. It was all like "Man, The Sun showed up early...frickin' kiss ass, I'm outta here".

Miriam had never been on a night ride. She said "It was like being a little kid". This is because her parents used to drop her off in the middle of the woods at night with nothing but a pen light and a Swiss Army knife.

And then the C.H.U.D.S. came


Some construction type stuff disrupted our ride, maybe a slightly different route next time.

Jon's light went dim part way through the ride. He decided to head for home.

Follow up. Yes Greg and Miriam were both right. Donald's butt is not that offensive in and of itself. It was all in the presentation. I can hardly look at it still. Karen Allen doesn't have the same problem.

I do always put my arm and leg warmers on before my bibs and jersey. This is purely functional though, it just locks everything in nicely.

However I have had a trauma related to this practice. This was at my previous work place. One night after closing my boss called out to get my attention. I look over to the only lit area of the shop, and there he stood, spotlighted...wearing nothing but arm and knee warmers. It was horrible. All the areas that should have been covered were not while all the less offensive areas were clothed. It was like he was "Super-Naked". The horror...the horror.


2 comments:

Bullitt said...

Page! God Damn Page.

Bullitt said...

....oh! and the ride sounded like fun. I wish I could've been thar!
We got a Monday night ride going on down here, for about four weeks now, we just busted out the lights on the last ride. So bring yers when you come in November.