Sunday, October 19, 2008


Canton Cross - Borderland Rock N' Roll

Woke up damn early this AM and drove down to Canton, MA for the NAV/IBC Cyclocross Race to work registration for a couple hours.

I might have been volunteering but I was paid kindly in donuts and coffee. Past time to get fat.
Lots of catching up and flabbing out to do.

Halloween isn't for a couple weeks but Johnny Vu decided to dress up as a bike racer for the day. He looked pretty convincing.



After a couple hours of working the table I met up with Todd Downs and Jason Girouard from IBC for a ride at Borderland. Todd had found himself some snazzy-ass new shoes. By the end of the ride he did manage to scuff them.

Borderland is all about the rocks. I like the rocks. I hope they like me too.
Jason drops in on his EX 9.


Todd charges up a ledge all single speed rigid.


The requisite getting lost segment.

Just as we were discussing who was getting eaten first a plane passing overhead spotted Todd's shoes and radioed for help. We were saved. Within twenty minutes I was wolfing Subway behind the wheel and slugging back a Dunkin' Donuts coffee. And I was so ready to eat Girouard's face too.


After the ride I jetted back up to the Cross race to see the finish of the Elite Women's race and watch the Elite Men. Pete Bradshaw is waiting on a new Cross bike. In the meantime he is riding a true Hybrid bicycle, it was a thing to behold.

Here I was telling Colin that all the fast dudes were at the UCI race in PA (That's Jesse Anthony just behind him) and that he had this one in the bag.

Although Bradshaw's sweet, custom Hybrid machine gave him the advantage in the early part of the race, Colin and his Carbon Fiber Ridley were able to wear him down. Bradshaw's kickstand did go into his spokes and his adjustable stem slipped, but hey, that's Hybrid bike racing.

A totally sick action sequence of Colin using good technique on the run up while chasing Brian Hughes.

It was tough being in close proximity to a really good Cross race and seeing all the dudes I love competing against out there having "fun", but I was able to abstain from jumping in. Baby stepping my way to a Fall full of epic group rides on my squishy bike.

4 comments:

rick is! said...

you're starting to worry me with all this talk of 26" squishy geared bikes. you're not being pulled in by the dark side just after you inspired me to go the opposite way are you?

Bullitt said...

HAHAHAHAHA ha. Vu.

Andy, R&D said...

bring that squishy up north this weekend? 'bound for VT.

badger dave said...

sorry couldn't read most of the post, those damned shoes blinded me