Thursday, September 11, 2008


Supadupafly

When I walked into packet pick up at Trek World a couple weeks ago there were stacks of 8 1/2 X 11 sheets of paper on the table. On the paper was a photo of a bike which hardly exists: a Fisher Carbon Superfly Single Speed. Basically the same bike as the geared production model of ‘08, only with track dropouts making it One Gear specific. They were offering Trek World Backstage pass holders a smokin’ deal on a very special bike. The only bikes they will make are the ones which people order, this is not a bike planned for production. “Wow, you guys knew I was coming huh? But what are you doing for everyone else? “.

The image of the frame above is stolen from the Twenty Nine Inches site. The one I'll be getting will have the new Team paint scheme, which is nice.

I didn’t even think about it, my credit number was on that form before you could say “Boing-Tikka-Misala!”. The bike allegedly arrives in January, just in time to hang it on my living room wall (Hi Miriam! You think maybe the bedroom wall might work better?) until the snow and the salt and the New England crap winter goes away. In the meantime I will begin procuring silly light parts worthy of such a stealth weapon. I’m thinking it might be the right tool for the job. The Rig will begin it’s transformation into Monster Truck Mode; bigger tires, bash ring, heavier rims, I will smash my way through the winter like a bulldozer. The Rig may continue to evolve into a Super-Commuter, sporting a Tommy Cog, front Disc brake, fenders, and studded tires. I will also transform, my body becoming flabbier, more pale, and weak. Dum-da-dum-da-da-dum-a-dum-day oh I love New England!

7 comments:

kevin said...

Not sure if this post qualifies as the official announcement that you're riding on the 29er crew next year, or just another in a long series of posts hinting at the fact, but either way, congratulations.

pretty sweet.

-kevin (the guy in the bkb jersey)

Colin R said...

Apparently your rig would rather commit suicide than become a winter bike, eh?

cesar said...

Hey Thom, ok well this post did quite have me pissing myself like I usually do when I catch up with your misadventures...more slack jawed yokel type experience. Pretty sick. Did you meet a guy named Mark LaLonde out at SSWC? I think he finish 4th or 5th...I randomly bought a cross bike off him on ebay.

Anyway I had a random question for you. I'm coming into town next week for Alex Whitmore's wedding and I'm looking to scrounge up a bike for a few days. I don't know if you might have something laying around or if you know someone who might. I don't need anything fancy...gears are fine, fixed is fine, whatever. 56cm range would be good...but I can ride a tricycle if I need to...

be well,

sasha

Unknown said...

Hmmm... That's funny Thomas. Not sure where you can hang your bike in our house...but I do have suggestions of where you can stick it. Insert emoticon wink here.


M

Unknown said...

Hey man, are you going to the Bradbury 12 hour next weekend? if you are you can crash at my place, I am only a few miles (9?) from the park. shoot me an email at freye84@hotmail.com take care

rick is! said...

nice job yesterday at the GrillZ. Sorry I wasn't there to contest it. I had bris duty instead.

dougyfresh said...

I thought you received your frame already. Damn you for borrowing someone else's photo!