Wednesday, September 24, 2008


It's a Bike!

Two weeks ago, just before the Landmine Short Track Race, I started having drivetrain issues...on my single speed. Major problems arose during the race. I thought it was because I was using crappy, ramped chainrings, which wasn't normal. These problems persisted throughout the Landmine Marathon Race the next day. I was baffled, I'm a bike mechanic, how is it that I can't keep a farging Single speed running? It was cracked, that's how. Right at the chainstay and the BB. I didn't notice this until I was cleaning the bike and replacing the chainring at the shop tuesday after the race.

The Rig, it lived a happy, active life, delivering great success to me at many races. It died a Viking's death on the fields (or trails as the case may be) of battle.

Mystery solved and a huge relief that I wasn't indeed a total moron who can't keep a single speed rolling (insert Adrian Fletcher comment here). After that moment of relief I realized that I was without a bike for the next weekend's race(s). Hence the bastard, Single-ated Paragon. Great bike, rides just like The Rig, but the compromise of the tensioning device was pretty sucky.


After the issues I had running the Singleator at the last couple races, I was looking for another option for the final real race of the year, The Vermont 50. Jason at IBC called over to Mark Kleven at Trek. In record time I had a baby blue Ferrous 29er frame in my hands. Tomorrow I should have a Rigid Switchblade fork for it. Just in time to get out for a couple "Pedalers" before the weekend.



4 comments:

Unknown said...

It's a looker that ferrous. I like the retro looking GF decal...how'd you swing that?

ಠ⁠_⁠ಠ said...

Be sure to mail it to Durham when you're done with it...

badger dave said...

good to see the obligatory pink cage, now you just need pink king headset and bb :D

rick is! said...

man that thing is so fast the rear wheel is already spinning in that last pic!