Wednesday, June 18, 2008

Hit
I Commute just about every day, things usually go well, I avoid a few hairy situations, sometimes I get away with something that makes me go "man, I gotta chill out". But most days are uneventful, not yesterday. I was coming home on Route 60 between Belmont and Arlington Centers, spinning out at about 22mph with a nice tailwind at my back. A car in front of me faked left, left blinker on, actually began turning the wheels...then blam! The guy turns hard right into a gas station. I lock 'em up, who knows what happens in the middle of one of these things really, it's a blur, total instinct and mayhem. I'm gliding, skidding sideways, turning with him, then he stops dead. I slide down the side of the car, finally slamming the meat of my left quad into his right rear view mirror, it pops off and hits the ground, only wires connecting it to the car. I drop the bike, and wind up standing, screaming profanity. I believe the term "Jackass" was the theme of the rant. I was loud, I drew attention, guys from the gas station and elsewhere came out and gathered around.
The kid was spooked, I was acting like a madman, he thought he really hurt me, he was holding his cell phone..."you weren't on your phone were you?" I spat. "No, I was gonna call 911 for an ambulance" the kid stammered. I eventually calmed, I realized this was a good kid, he was trying to do the right thing, and I had really freaked him out in every way. He apologized, said that the important thing was that I was OK, I said I was sorry about his mirror and rolled away to ice my leg and watch the Celtics with my pops. Could have been worse.

I found that the backing nut for the EBB expander wedge would back out due to the angle the allen wrench was entering the bolt head, so I had to file a bit of the end of the crank arm. Now it works great.


Earlier that that day (can't figure out why the font just changed on it's own, oh well) I went out for a race pace ride of the NEMBA MTB loop in The Fells. I wanted to set a marker in a certain gear and see if I'm faster in lower or higher gears. I chose a gear higher than anything I've used before, a 33 X 16. I have to say it felt good, grindy on the hills but no so much so that I wouldn't do it again. The power and control you have in technical singletrack running a higer gear is awesome. The Loop felt like a road crit, the extra speed smoothing out even the most technical spots. My time from where the loop begins at the cross roads near Governor's Ave, heading in a clockwise direction was 28:45. We'll see if I can beat that in a spinnier gear next week.

My staging area, so glad my girlfriend puts up with this crap week after week.


7 comments:

Colin R said...

Glad you're ok. The left-fake-then-dart-right is like the only move a car can make where no amount of commuting experience can save you.

I almost crushed a pedestrian just a few minutes ago, some people are just idiots.

Hill Junkie said...

There are two positions of the EBB to achieve chain tension. On my Dean singlespeed, these are behind center, upper and lower positions. I found that when I tensioned the chain in the upper position (desireable, as higher BB = less rock bashing), the EBB would work backward and chain would get sloppy. See photo. With chain tensioned with EBB in lower position, the EBB would not rotate backwards. In fact, the chain sometimes gets too tight. It doesn't seem to matter how hard I torque the wedge bolt. The EBB will either make the chain go slack (upper) or tight (lower) over time. I leave it in the lower position now so I don't have to mess with it as often, but I sure do slam a lot of rocks.

Big Bikes said...

I have tried the EBB in the upper position, but I feel like I'm sitting on top of a ship's mast. I like to run it in the lower position for a lower center of gravity which provides better cornering. I usually only bash the pedals a couple times a race or ride.
I also tend to run it in in the farther back position to help get my Tibial Tuberosity over the pedal axle (I got me some short femurs).

My EBB generally holds adjustment unless I've over-tightened the chain initially, then it sort of self corrects, pivoting and allowing the chain to go slack. If the chain has no tight spots to begin with it will maintain better adjustment. With proper chain line and un-ramped chain rings the chain shouldn't jump off even when slightly slack.

-t

bikemike said...

So glad you are ok! Scary when those darn drivers do that to us.

Hey, question for a gent with your sprocket knowledge. I'd like to cut down to two sprockets up front. Do you know what sizes are available for the bontrager setup?

I would like to do a 40 big ring and have not decided on the middle.
My candy butt does need an easy gear for climbing.

bikemike said...

Thom,

Sorry for the strange question, actually was wondering today if you thought I was kooky.
Did not have an email so asked that way.
Thanks for the answer, it helped a lot.

How you feeling? Doing 66 or Efta this weekend if any at all?

Big Bikes said...

Oh no, it ain't a thing, I like geeking out on this stuff.
I'll be at the Root 66 Putney Race for sure.

-t

Andy, R&D said...

be safe out there TP.
if loud pipes save motorcyclist's lives...
paranoia saves ours!

I keep trying to git down to the fells fur a Thursday mornin'in rip wit ya's. Just hasn't worked out.
When are we going to ride next man?

later