Friday, May 09, 2008


I'm Hot For Time Trial

I don't know why I become obsessed with certain things, like bike racing in general or The Dover Wednesday Evening Time Trial
in particular, maybe after another cup of coffee I'll figure it out. Maybe not. This thing has been my fitness check for the past few years. I don't go Aero, I don't change up my bike significantly,
I want to know if I have become faster here, here, and here (pointing to my legs, lungs, and head like a three year old nodding "yes" while on the phone with their dad).
This month (it only occurs once per month) I headed down there with Linnea and Colin
we pretty much went TTT pace all the way down, which is a "great" way to warm up. I lined up in second to last position with the a very serious looking Aero guy behind me. I took off, fumbling with my right head phone, had to have my motivational music going, this time it was a mix of Ministry, Rammstein, and Van Halen. "Hot for Teacher" was doubled up because it is such an ideal TT tempo track, I guess that would be an ideal "TTTT". Last time I went with the Cro Mags and after this very scientifical test I have determined that Van Halen makes one ride faster than the Cro Mags. Next month I may experiment with Motorhead or Dragonforce.
Oh, before I forget, the above photo is from this guy he's really quite good. I would say "long story slightly less long here or something like that, but there is no real story here. So I guess I could say "long tangential, babbling rant made short" and tell you that I bettered last month's time by about twenty seconds, but was off last year's best time by seven seconds. And that is about as exciting as watching Golf ,or NASCAR , or Baseball, or the first week of The Tour De France, or...I shut up now.

5 comments:

Georges Rouan said...

Did youbeat the serious Aero guy who started behind you?

Big Bikes said...

Oh no, I didn't, I meant to elaborate but ran out of time and motivation.

He passed me early on but I was able to gap back up on the climbs then lose him on the flats. Overall I think he helped in a rabbit kinda way.

B said...

I'll give you the 7 seconds if you want them.

ಠ⁠_⁠ಠ said...

Dude, Dragonforce can't help but make you SUPERfast. You should try Lamb of God or Slayer and see if it makes you fast AND beat up Aero Guy afterwards. That would be cool.

dougyfresh said...

I heard you two took 1st and 2nd with one gear. Congrats! Sounds like it was a good race. Season's just starting so you've got some fun ahead!